Sorry, we don't support your browser.  Install a modern browser

How is sync not the #1 issue here?#682

J

Slow sync and sync across devices has been plaguing this app for a few years now. Time to put some focus on the things under-the-hood that are keeping this app from being everything it can be. It’s seriously sooooo close - the performance is just really lagging.

The new UI/Zen Box is great btw, there are some things that have been/still are unbeatable in Newton.

I’m back because Tempo [https://www.yourtempo.co] decided to sunset (now a free standalone app) - they pretty much nailed everything on the desktop side of things - especially replies.

2 years ago
J

Also, downloading attachments is not functioning right now (MacOS), yes they open, but they’re stored in Newton temp.

2 years ago

@JPM, I agree with you on the Sync issues. Have been having a lot of these off late. I use it on 3 devices - MBP, MBA and iPhone and one of the devices (MBA usually) always seems to have emails marked as Unread which have been taken care off in the other emails + GMail.

However, as to your download issue, if you set the Download folder via Newton > Preferences > General (scroll down to Download Location), you should be able to see the Downloaded file.

2 years ago
J

Ah, thanks Saurabh! It was working before the update, I guess the install reset it to the temp location on my end. Working fine now.

2 years ago
J

I’m also having messages repeatedly return to the inbox that I’ve deleted, archived, moved etc. - also seems like something in the sync bucket of issues.

2 years ago
M

Same here … Mac and iPhone are not syncing correctly

2 years ago

Same here. Its been like it ever since they started working on the Mac app themselves. I’ve told Maitrik directly but no one cares

2 years ago

It’s not just iOS - it’s the same on Android.

2 years ago

Spark doesn’t do HTML signatures. Not essential for many people I know, but some need it.

2 years ago

Yes it does

2 years ago
S

I really want to switch to polymail since I can no longer file away emails without newton freezing/crashing until rebooted. So much for inbox zero. :-/ Unfortunately, I have 8 email addresses between work & personal, and can really only afford to narrow down to 5. You can only use 2 email addresses on their entry product. That means $30/month - $360 year for email seems crazy. Doesn’t it?!

2 years ago
J

Polymail hasn’t done it for me. The flow of Newton, and the list view w/o a viewing pane as a home base is hard to replicate. I’ve gone back to Tempo and will probably stay there until it drops dead. Mimestream seems pretty promising - quick as all hell, just not doing anything beyond of what Gmail’s core is capable of, but it’s early.

2 years ago

@Sharon, one thing that works for me (but might not work for your workflow) is using Gmail’s “send mail as” and “check email from other accounts” feature. Polymail lets you send mail from any account you connect to a Gmail account (and accept too of course) by adding an “alias”. This lets me group all my email addresses into just two accounts, a personal one and a work one, which is covered by the lowest pricing tier.

Mimestream looks cool, but Mac-only, so I might have to wait it out a bit!

2 years ago
S

Thanks @Yousef Amar - unfortunately I have multiple work emails. I’ve never seen an email company limit the number of accounts. Just users and features. It’s a bummer. I’m on a pc - so yeah, we usually have to wait for the new programs to get past Beta.

I can’t believe Newton did this… again. 😩

2 years ago
S

@JPM - there’s no way to turn off the preview pane? What else don’t you like about Polymail?

I have been with Newton through all the ups and downs, I’m just not sure why the new owners are having such a hard time with it. I wish they’d talk to us.

2 years ago
J

@Sharon - I can’t recall the specifics of what I was able to do and not do, it actually may be that you can turn it off. I’ve found that most apps with a traditional 2 or 3 panel layout will pop up the mail in a new window if you opt for hiding the preview - which gets a bit sloppy for my taste. On top of that I recall not having much in the way of options for “cleaning up” the UI; hiding avatar pics, toolbars and the like. There was just to much there that I didn’t want in my face. I’m also really big on key commands to get around which is where Newton, again, excels.

2 years ago