Sorry, we don't support your browser.  Install a modern browser

"Contingency plan to keep Newton going"#806

C

As most of the posts on this community agree, Newton is by far one of the best email clients out there and the developers have done a great job… up until the point they stopped.

It’s clear that there is no longer support or growth planned for the app so if anyone working on Newton still checks this community, I’d like to remind them of their statement after buying CloudMagic:

“1. Contingency plan to keep Newton going

We don’t want users to go through what we have been through for the last couple of years. That is why we want to build a contingency plan right out of the gate.

This is the worst-case scenario. If all else fails and something happens to us or our business we’d still want Newton to live on and community to takeover.

We promise to open-source Newton and find a way for self-hosted servers to support the product indefinitely so that your contribution is not wasted.”

https://blog.newtonhq.com/newton-lives-on-to-supercharge-your-email-1017b8a24ae4

Maybe it’s time?

a year ago

Totally agree, I paid my subscription on January 1st and I found a bug and they haven’t responded to me. This application stopped having support more than a year ago. I don’t think the two founders would even want to work together. It’s time for those who have more knowledge in the community take the reins of Newton and finally make way for free Software as it had to be.

a year ago

I have not used Newton for many months, my subscription was automatically renewed last week, and since then I’m trying to get in my account but the 2FA doesnt work any more, and they dont respond to my emails. Total scam!

a year ago

I can host, suppot and do whatever needed to keep app alive!

a year ago

Agree totally. On the Windows desktop version if you try to move an email item into a folder, the program crashes freezes up completely and can only be resuscitated by going into the Task Manager to kill all Newon processes. I’ve reported this several times over the past year when it first broke and this has never been dealt with. It’s a shame because I have been a fan since the CloudMagic days and was hoping this would remain viable as I am on android, mac, windows and iPad as well as off and on iOS…and nothing compares to Newton Mail. I’m assuming what they need is to be adopted by many more subscribers to pay the rent to get everything working properly.

a year ago

Yesterday I switched to Spikenow, and Im loving it. Many great features like email organization bz subject or people.. Read notifications by default, its fast, it has unified inbox although I not like it at first but as I use it more I can see its really useful thing. Canceled my newton subscription yesterday even it last until May 2023, I am just tired of their lack of support, no updates..who knows even if our data is safe with them at this point. (Just copying my comment from previous threads where I replied). The more users know about good alternative is better. Newton honestly has left us alone and they totally not deserve anyones money anymore

a year ago

Thanks for the heads up on Spike. Been with Newton Email 3+ years now. Time to give someone else a shot it seems.

a year ago

I use spike also. Really love them.
Was using Newton from the beginning, and it just isn’t working properly anymore.
and I can’t seem to find how to cancel my newton subscription. the Online Control Panel portal does not work

Does anyone have any ideas?

a year ago

For me thankfully newton still works, when my subscription expires or it stops working, I’ll move to spike. I think the videocall feature is really useful when you’re a independent worker.

a year ago

I’ve been with Newon/Cloudmagic since day 1… It’s sad to see it become what it is now. My images are all broken and won’t show up in IOS/Android. I want to move to something else, but newton works the best for me still. I don’t mind paying at all, but its hard to justify the costs when support never replies back. At least some communication would be great (even if it’s “hey we know about the issue, but there’s other issues that are more priority”). Opening the calendar withing android causes the entire app to crash now as well.

a year ago

Dont waste your time hoping newton will improve or get back because from all we saw its a dead app.. I am already used to Spike and its really grest app. The only issue is if you have Yahoo email sync takes long time, but its bcz of Yahoo servers causing them some issue not app itself.. Besides that all features are better.

a year ago

There are many issues with Newton such as no support, no any communication, and who is even running Newton now, how do we know that our data is safe at all. Well, that’s too much for me to risk..

a year ago

Has anybody had experience with mailspring? Spike for me seems to be more than I need.

a year ago

Have tried them all and Newton still the best. It doesn’t make sense the constant issues with the app. I would gladly pay $100 per year for it. I’ve read on a few occasions that the app is expensive to support and host but what’s the point of giving people a crappy product and experience on the thought that they don’t want to pay more for the app.

Any idea on how much it would cost to buy the company/app?

7 months ago