Sorry, we don't support your browser.  Install a modern browser

Stealing money second year in a row#863

After several emails and a twitter message last year to cancel, I was charged anyway. Went through my bank to get the charge reversed only to get charged again this year. This is insane. So, you subscribe once, and will get charged yearly for life? I should have never subscribed outside of the apple in-app purchases. At least we are protected from this type of fraud. I can’t even unsubscribe from your service through your portal because it says I don’t have a subscription!!! Perhaps a lawsuit will get you to delete my info and stop charging me?

7 months ago

They’re Indians. Of course they scam. I was charged, which I wanted to continue using it, but my emails no longer synced properly. Took a few hours for them to pop up. I emailed constantly and they’d read my emails and never reply. Filed dispute too and got money back

7 months ago
A

Same thing happened to me
Two years in a row
Hadn’t even thought about newton since they charged me against my will last year
Then I got an email last week saying I’d be charged soon for another year
I wrote back saying I cancelled and demanded my money back a year ago and please do not charge me this year.
They did anyway
I replied again and said if I don’t hear back soon I’ll call my credit card company and refuse payment which I should have done last year!

7 months ago

Exactly the same issue! I’m not using Newton Mail (CloudMagic) for over a year now, and they charged my in December 2022 for a new annual subscription I didn’t ask for, and now they’re doing it again! The don’t respond to any of my emails of phone calls. I cannot login, because I’ve got no login anymore (deleted my account in 2022, but was then charged at the end of the year, and now they do it again). Asking for a new password to login again, to once again deleting the account, isn’t possible, because when I type in my login name (my email address) to request for a new password, it says that an email will be send to me if I have a registered Newton Mail account (which I don’t have anymore, so I don’t receive an email at all). It seems I cannot block the company myself via my bank / credit card company to block the new charge/subscription!?! So, what can I do? A new subscription for 1 year means another 50 USD, so that’s 100 USD for me now, without being able to use the service (and I don’t want to use it anymore since somewhere in 2022)!

6 months ago
L

I also received the notice of the next annual charge, I also canceled the account with NewtonMail and I can no longer create it, the Stripe FAQ says that they cannot disable recurring charges from companies, I think that I will proceed with deactivating the credit card and have another one issued… I am really disappointed with NewtonMail!!! really bad!!!!

6 months ago

Same, I’ve been trying to cancel since 2021 and they never respond. My bank said that subscriptions will always go through even if the card is canceled/reported stolen/and replaced. It’s time to start filing with the BBB and emailing the Google Play store and App Store to let them know this scam is happening. Also filing a complaint with the FTC as they are refusing to allow people to cancel.

6 months ago

Yeah it’s gotten to the ridiculous point. I understand one slip up and loyal customers providing grace to those in charge, but this is rough. We just want to unsubscribe and be done, not file with our cards annually…

6 months ago
L

I confirm that I disabled my prepaid card and the charge was not processed, and in no way will it happen in the future!
I haven’t received any response from Newton Mail support… I left a negative review on Google Store, now I’m also reporting it to the postal police!

6 months ago

Herewith an update. I just spoke to my bank and explained the problem. They then immediately blocked my credit card, stating that this is the only solution to at least prevent Newton from collecting money again. My bank will send me a completely new credit card free of charge within 5 working days.

In addition, my bank offers an online Money Back Service that I can use from 30 days after the transaction (which was last December 13 in my case) until 120 days after the transaction to receive at least the money back from this last transaction. I have to provide evidence for this, though, that I did my best to get in touch with Newton, and made multiple attempts. Fortunately, I still have all these (one-sided) emails and have also taken screenshots.

So, it looks like my bank will at least refund me the 50 USD from the most recent transaction. Unfortunately, that does not apply to the transaction from a year earlier.

5 months ago

To Paul Flood: make sure your bank sends a new credit card to you, i.e. with a new number, verification code and PIN. A subscription cannot be collected if the credit card number does not exist (anymore).

5 months ago

To Stephen: I have a new card with entirely new numbers, dates, and Security code. Due to how banks process subscriptions from “known” providers (ie a service you have used in the past and is known to be legit) even with the new card with all new details and a new pin the transaction still tries to process. (I confirmed this with my bank and I am currently still attempting to get charged by Newtonand stripe). The only thing that helped save my money is I had my bank BLOCK the merchent/vendor from my account. While the transaction still attempts NOW my bank blocks it. But no, a new card will NOT stop stripe and newton from charging you if you already had previous charges from them. But thank you for the suggestion, I was on the phone with my bank for hours going through solutions.

5 months ago

To Paul: thanks for your response. Indeed, my bank indicated that Newton will try to collect the money for a future period (and they continue to do so). However, they also told me that all attempts linked to my blocked credit card (number) will be denied, and will not be processed. To be sure, I will ask them to confirm this again. I’ll see for myself what happens at the end of this calendar year, when officially a new Newton subscription starts.

5 months ago
A

This is so ridiculous. I was able to do a reversal of charges pretty easily on the chase credit card site and I just looked in the chase app to double check that it went though and it did…. But now I’m wondering if I’ll be charged next November as well, and every year for the rest of my life!

I did like the app for a while past but now I’m just disgusted

5 months ago